Morningside Market, Inc. (d.b.a. Morningside Farmers Market [MFM]) is seeking a Market Management Service Provider.
Budget: up to $1,000/month
Market Physical Location: 1393 North Highland Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306 (in the Morningside neighborhood of Atlanta, across from Alon’s Bakery and Family Dog).
Point of Contact: Board President or other Board Designee
About Morningside Farmers Market:
Morningside Farmers Market (https://www.morningsidemarket.com) is the first and only farmers market in Atlanta that requires all produce to be certified organic. Unwavering in our commitment to customers since 1995, we offer fresh, local, certified organic vegetables, fruits, and mushrooms; local, organic, GMO-free meats; organic bread; beautiful organic flowers; and organic skincare products. The produce is grown by farmers and their staff who are at the market. It’s a small, intimate farmers market where you can get to know the producers. Located in the historic Morningside community, the Market is open every Saturday year-round from 8:00–11:30 am.
Market Management Services Overview:
We are seeking a provider of Market Management Services, which we see as a key factor to the market’s success and growth. The primary point of contact will be the Board President or another designated Board member.
We are looking for a provider who will be responsible for all back-end operations of the Market on a day-to-day basis and will manage all day-of market responsibilities from set-up through post-market breakdown. The party/ies responsible for managing the Market should possess a complex blend of skills that are both interpersonal and organizational. They are nimble and can address issues as they arise. The provider(s) is well-versed and passionate about organic, sustainable, local agriculture and products. Self-motivation and strong communication skills are critical; the manager will communicate with many different types of people—vendors, customers, community members, the board of directors, etc.
Key Services Needed:
On-Site Market Management
Provide management every Saturday at the Market’s location (currently at 1393 North Highland Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30306) from 6:30 am–12:30 pm. Exceptions will be made in the event of sudden, severe illness, as well as up to two additional Market days with two weeks’ advance notice. Failure to provide consistent on-site market management or absence with the required advance notice will reduce payment and will result in termination.
- Set up the Market: put out the parking cones and signs; manage weekly map for vendor booth locations; direct vendors to their spots; assist with loading; conflict resolution; and set up the info booth, customer seating, and music tent.
- Identify, and resolve as soon as possible, any issues affecting the safety of customers and vendors. For example: Work with dog owners to resolve any issues related to dogs at the market that are off-leash, causing disruption, disturbing vendor food items, etc.
- Identify and resolve any issues related to unauthorized solicitors or unapproved products at the market.
- Collect the booth fees from all the vendors.
- Maintain a presence at the Market’s information booth to distribute various communication materials, greet customers, answer questions, etc.
- Manage MFM Market Manager email account; read and respond to any emails within 24 hours.
- Vendor Communications:
- Confirm weekly vendor schedule and products for sale from each vendor; share with the Marketing/Social Media Manager.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with all market vendors.
- Respond to new vendor applications, verify application information as correct, and determine compliance with Market bylaws; prepare an approval/denial recommendation for the Board to review and vote on.
- Respond to new product applications from existing vendors, verify the information as correct, and determine compliance with Market bylaws; prepare an approval/denial recommendation for the Board to review and vote on.
- If the Board decides to cancel a market for any reason, then the Market Manager will notify all vendors immediately via a phone call or text, as well as email.
- Board Communications:
- Monthly written report to the Board regarding pre-approved expenses, # of market attendees, vendor updates, and status of volunteer participation.
- Recommendations regarding new vendor applications and new product applications from existing vendors.
Market Growth & Community Building
- Recommend ideas to improve the Market.
- Maintain a minimum number of vendors; develop a vendor waiting list.
- Recruit and manage chef demos and musicians.
- Recruit and manage volunteers
- Coordinate sponsors and community groups including any relevant sponsorship and funding opportunities.
Compliance & Record Keeping
- Collect electronic records of all vendors’ organic certification and
other documentationrequired by the Market in accordance with the bylaws.
- Review vendor booths and products for compliance with the rules and policies of the market; record
and communicateall exceptions to the Board.
- Track customer attendance numbers each week.
- Check with vendors regarding sales each
log for reference. week and
- Secure any necessary permits or
by the Market. licenses required
- Maintain detailed information regarding schedule, contact info, etc. for all active market vendors/exhibitors.
We have allocated up to $1,000 per
month for Market Management Services. Your proposal should reflect and not
exceed our budget, whether it is based on a flat project fee or an hourly rate.
Based on experience, Market Management Services are approximately 16 hours each
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Responsible for their transportation related to market activities
- Must possess a valid Motor Vehicle License
- Must provide their own smartphone (and voice/text/data plan) and computer
- Must be able to work in an outdoor environment in adverse weather conditions
- Must be able to stand and walk for an extended period-of-time
- Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds
If this sounds like you please complete our application. We are accepting applications through March 17, 2019